header gazebo

 

History

A BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL

Carol Morgan

CMS Founder: Carol Morgan

In 1949, Carol Morgan returned with her family to the United States. That same year, in appreciation of her tireless efforts in the schools behalf, the name of the school was officially changed to “Carol Morgan School”. Carol Morgan passed away in 1993.In the autumn of 1933 Mrs. Carol Morgan and her missionary husband Barney Morgan were confronted with the task of providing an English Language / American curriculum education for their children. Since these requirements could not be met in the Dominican Republic at that time, Carol Morgan was determined to start her own school. From the inception of the school the guiding principal was to bring children together for companionship, competition, and systematic education. Called at first “The Little School” or the “Santo Domingo Calvert School” (from the Calvert Curriculum system), it was originally housed in an abandoned Episcopal Chapel with Mrs. Morgan and two other women comprising the entire teaching staff. Beginning with only five students and one room, donated black boards and supplies from the International Hospital, and the Evangelical church while each student was responsible for his or her own desk and chair. Growth during the ensuing years required the school to seek larger quarters and subsequently move several times.

In 1964 Dr. Donald Reid Cabral, on behalf of the Dominican government, donated the present site to the school. Additional assistance in the form of donated construction materials such as bricks and cement was received from the American Ambassador.  Between 1966 and 1968 construction began on the High School, Elementary, Library, Cafeteria and Business Office and in 1968 the student body moved to this present campus.   Additions over the years have included:
  • 1974-80   Gymnasiums and Elementary School across from the Middle School
  • 1981   Middle School
  • 1987   Science Building
  • 1992   Computer and Fine Arts wing above gymnasium, and the warehouse
  • 1997   Covered court adjacent to the gymnasium
  • 1998   Elementary School expansion, including a library, computer labs, administration  and Optimal Learning Center area
  • 2000   New administration wing
  • 2001   Additional classrooms in both HS and MS, HS teachers lounge and a black box theatre
  • 2002   Complete Middle School quad with 3 new Science labs, two computer labs, one Health classroom, a new handicap ramp and a green house
  • 2003-5  Security Grant: PA system, window film, internal bollards, security arms, new gate
  • 2004   Parking Lot  ( 1st floor)
  • 2006   Parking Lot  ( 2nd floor)
  • 2008   Middle/ High School Library -Technology Center  and all school cafeteria and new Maintenance Building
  • 2009   Renovation of old HS Library to 5 classroom Art Pavilion
  • 2010   ES remodel ( windows, doors, shades, furniture )
  • 2011   MS remodel ( windows, doors, shades furniture )
  • 2012  Phase 1 HS remodel ( windows, doors, shades ) and Band Room remodel
  • 2013  Phase 2 HS remodel ( floors, ceilings, hallways ) and center courtyard   

Today the Carol Morgan School is a co-educational day school with an American college-preparatory curriculum and an enrollment of approximately 1,100 students from over 30 countries. The school is located on a lush fifteen-acre campus in a residential suburb of Santo Domingo. Facilities include 120 classrooms, a gymnasium, weight room, covered outdoor basketball/volleyball courts, and several athletic fields. In addition, the campus has separate administration, elementary, middle and secondary school buildings.